Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Dowtown at Sunset


At the end of the day, downtown comes alive. At least in my neck of the woods. South Park pulses with the sounds of cars, sirens, parking lot attendants annoyingly trying to get every car's attention with whistles, shouts and flag waving (which makes a "chop chop" sound when done briskly), helicopters, horns....you name it. It's comforting sometimes. There's always something happening just outside my door. Tonight, it's the Clippers. Tomorrow, a concert (Lady Gaga celebrated her 25th birthday at Nokia Tuesday...Thanks, Lady!), Friday, the Lakers. Soon, the new LA football team. While I secretly dread this stadium coming to little tiny downtown, and the throngs of people (read: obnoxious fans), I'm also a bit excited for my property value to increase and the new storefronts, retailers, and possibly more restaurants within walking distance. An LA Times article in the Business section describes the rush of merchants looking at South Park as the next big thing. You can read it here: http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-stadium-downtown-20110327,0,1445479,full.story.

Sprouts Market and Fresh & Easy?? Urban Outfitters and H&M??? Target????? Yes, please!

Don't get me wrong. I'm not a retail-chain whore. But having simple amenities nearby would greatly boost my downtown experience, let alone the folks that just visit here. I'm excited. It will be amazing to watch the transformation.

In the meantime, I still get beautiful sunsets and sunrises. And as long as the Glass Tower doesn't get funding to build the 25 story monstrosity across the street from me, I'm still in good shape with the views.

No comments:

Post a Comment