Monday, February 21, 2011

Mas Malo es muy bueno

One of my favorite places to eat in LA is Malo in Silverlake. It has the perfect combination of hipsters, margaritas and cool. I was turned onto Malo by a friend who swore by their now infamous ground beef and pickle tacos. Excuse me, you say? Beef and pickles? In a shell? I know, the idea sounds ludicrous. But until you try one, you just don't know. Think cheeseburger in a crunchy taco. It's quite genius, actually. And delicious. I order nothing else. I always want to be adventuresome and try another option, but I can't. I love them that much.

So lo and behold, they open a Mas Malo right up the street from me. I think I died and went to heaven. Nothing will stop me from going to the spot in Silverlake, but to be able to have tacos and habanero cream salsa and chewy chips within walking distance of my abode is just heaven. I happened to go the week they opened this little jewel - I was with a MeetUp group, and we wandered the street looking for our second or third cocktail. It was packed, but we put our name in and waited out our time in the conveniently located Seven Grand just next door and up the stairs. (Let me pause here. The simple idea that I can have the ground beef and pickles after a few hours of boozing it up in a swanky, plaid-ensconced whiskey bar was almost too much for me to handle. Did I mention both establishments are within walking and stumbling distance from my house?? If this alone is not a reason to live downtown, I don't know what is.)

Try not to gasp when you walk in. My photo doesn't do it justice at all. The new space is an old jewelry store from the 1920s. I almost fainted when they told me the original vault is going to be a private tasting tequila bar. (I don't even like tequila that much...I just love the idea.) The menu is the same as the original in Silverlake (thank god) yet the space is bustling with energy not seen at the other. It's loud, it's gorgeous, it's a fun place to have dinner on any night.

1 comment:

  1. Oooh, I'm going to L.A. next weekend and may have to check out Malo. Beef and pickle tacos? Yum!

    ReplyDelete