Saturday, February 19, 2011

Blade Runner

I can't say the entire reason I moved downtown was because of the great price I got on a short sale, or the amazing view from my windows. Deep down, I wanted to live in the city I fell in love with in "Blade Runner." This is my all-time favorite movie. Harrison Ford, Sean Young, Rutger Hauer and Ridley Scott just got it right. It's a perfect film, filled with gorgeous cinematography, haunting sounds, memorable music, and brilliant acting. It's an homage to Los Angeles, using some of the city's most unique architecture and street scenes. I get both teary and goosebumps every time I watch it. I don't know why. I am very proud to be from Los Angeles. We get a bad rap for all the falseness and frivolity that oozes here. Los Angeles was recently voted the least-friendly city according to Travel & Leisure. I'd like to point out that most of the population in Los Angeles is not from here. That might have something to do with it. City dwellers are so preoccupied with their careers or their images that they have little time to acknowledge others. But, I digress...

I found a link on YouTube recently that juxtaposes scenes from the movie with the actual locations. I've always loved old photographs of the city compared to new ones. This takes it to a whole new level.

No comments:

Post a Comment